In human society and its environment (HSIE), both subjects of history and geography are mandatory from Kindergarten to Year 10.
Students learn specific historical and geographical concepts and skills in history and geography. They also have an opportunity to learn more about people and the societies and environments in which they live through elective subjects in Years 7 to 10 (Stages 4 to 5).
A large number of individual subjects make up the key learning area of HSIE in which students:
- research, gather and analyse information
- question and make judgements
- write for a variety of purposes.
In Year 11 and 12, students can choose from a range of HSIE courses. These include:
- Aboriginal Studies
- Ancient History
- Business Studies
- History Extension
- Legal Studies
- Modern History
- Society and Culture
- Studies of Religion.
The HSIE Faculty forms an integral part of student's studies from year 7 to 12 at Bowral High School.
The faculty caters for all learners and strives to help students understand the social and economic forces that influence their world and equip them with the necessary skills to negotiate the difficult terrain of life.
The values we stand by are:
- realistic expectations and opportunities for all students
- the development of learning skills
- dynamic teaching and learning practices
- a positive learning environment
- active and informed citizenship
- reflective and critical thinking.